Mercury Systems, Inc. is a multi-million dollar company assisting the aerospace and defense industries. Headquartered in Andover, Massachusetts, their procedural subsystems are used in Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR), Radar, Electronic Warfare (EW), storage and guidance defense utilizations. With more than 1000 employees in offices around the globe, Mercury has an annual revenue of approximately US$493 million.
Customer Relationships- Why Bother?
Due to the lack of a stable and reliable system, a lot of companies often lose a lot of customers. In business, customer relationship is a critical asset. Not only does it boost your value in the market, but also ranks you up on the loyalty scale.
Customers come from the varied reality of payment cycles, so why should the collection strategies be ‘one size fits all’? The collections team at Mercury Marine was a part of this hassle and moreover, they were not able to influence their customers to pay on time.
There are a multitude of reasons why customers don’t pay. Some common reasons include cash crunch or financial duress, pending disputes, and unreceived invoices.
Risk Classification Based on Payment Trends
The team at Mercury faced similar challenges. What did they do? They bucketed their customers into three categories-
Fig. 1: Customer Risk Buckets
The primary challenge was how to get customers in the high-risk category to pay. Some strategies that helped them included –
These strategies were actionable, however, executing across the board meant analyzing thousands of customer trends and formulating the collections plan for each of them.
Tailor-Made Strategies for Risk Buckets
The collections team needed a clear perception of customers’ payment behavior. A solution that could segregate the customers into logical risk buckets and record tailored rules and regulations. Ultimately making the analyst’s work easier and more efficient. This birds-eye view of the entire Collection process could effectively nurture customer relationships while having effective control over the entire payment hierarchy.
Mercury Marine invested in a long term scalable solution that helped them segregate customers based on the risk, tailor strategies for different accounts, centralize all information and enable collectors to focus on correspondence.
Fig. 2: Recommended actions for different customers
Some key features of the solution included :
Collection Strategies and Rules
Based on the type of customers that the company would have garnered over the years, they can be segregated into specific logical buckets. Furthermore, collections strategies could be set up for each category.
This worklist was automatically created by an automated system based on account segmentation and the strategies identified for each segment.
Correspondence is the most critical part of collections. Automating correspondence for low-risk customers was a low hanging fruit for the collectors, freeing up their time to focus on high-risk customers.
Log Calls and Notes
The solution came with an ability to log notes and keep track of all communication making it easier to revise the collaboration history before initiating the next correspondence with the customer.
Track Payment Commitment
Keeping a track of the customers’ payment commitment especially high-risk customers can be a burden on the collectors. Auto-reminders in the solution supported the analysts in keeping track of payment commitments and follow-ups.
Fig. 3: Steps involved in the collections process
Results Across the Board
You must have heard about the 80/20 rule of business, 20% of the customers account for 80% of the receivables – but not all risk is equal. At Mercury Marine, it was difficult to track high-risk customers (the rest of 20%) as well but with an intelligent solution, they were able to focus on these critical accounts while ensuring that the medium to low-risk accounts did not fall through the cracks.
7 Best Practices To Ensure Faster Collections
Collection Email and Dunning Automation with The Excel
Improving Overall A/R Efficiency with Digital Transformation of Credit, Collections and Cash Posting